William T. Joines
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
William T. Joines earned the BS degree from North Carolina State University, MS, and PhD degrees from Duke University (all in electrical engineering) in 1959, 1961, and 1964, respectively. After high school and before college he served for four year in the United States Air Force (1951-1955) as an airborne radar technician. From 1959 to 1966 he was a Member of the Technical Staff of Bell Telephone Laboratories. He joined the Electrical Engineering Department of Duke University as an Assistant Professor in 1966. He was appointed as an Associate Professor in 1968 and a Full Professor in 1979. His current research interests include electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures. He is a member of the Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, and Sigma Xi, honor societies. He is a Life Senior Member of IEEE, and he has earned Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1982, 1985, and 1990.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 307 Engineering Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5281
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1964
- M.S.E.E. Duke University, 1961
- B.S.E.E. North Carolina State University, 1959
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Life Fellow, IEEE, Microwave Theory and Techniques Society; Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society; Power Electronics Society, and Antennas and Propogations Society
- Order of Saint Patrick Scientific and Technical Achievement Award, U.S. EPA, 1982, 1983, and 1990
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Sigma Xi
- Tau Beta Pi
- ECE 572: Electromagnetic Communication Systems
- ECE 575: Microwave Electronic Circuits
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Xu, KD; Zhangi, YH; Yang, Y; Joines, WT; Liu, QH; Fan, Y, A tri-mode bandpass filter using capacitive and inductive source-load coupling, Microwave Journal, vol 56 no. 5 (2013), pp. 178-188 [abs].
- Xu, K; Zhang, Y; Li, D; Fan, Y; Li, JLW; Joines, WT; Liu, QH, Novel design of a compact triple-band bandpass filter using short stub-loaded sirs and embedded sirs structure, Progress in Electromagnetics Research (PIER), vol 142 (2013), pp. 309-320 [abs].
- Xu, KD; Zhang, YH; Joines, WT; Liu, QH; Fan, Y, Tri-band bandpass filter using shorted stub-loaded dual-mode resonators, Microwave Journal no. 9 (2013), pp. 122-130 [abs].
- Joines, WT; Baumann, SB; Kruth, JG, Electromagnetic emission from humans during focused intent, Journal of Parapsychology, vol 76 no. 2 (2012), pp. 275-294 [abs].
- Olaode, OO; Palmer, WD; Joines, WT, Characterization of meander dipole antennas with a geometry-based, frequency-independent lumped element model, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol 11 (2012), pp. 346-349 [10.1109/LAWP.2012.2191380] [abs].