William T. Joines
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
William T. Joines earned the BS degree from North Carolina State University, MS, and PhD degrees from Duke University (all in electrical engineering) in 1959, 1961, and 1964, respectively. After high school and before college he served for four years in the United States Air Force (1951-1955) as an airborne radar technician. From 1959 to 1966 he was a Member of the Technical Staff of Bell Telephone Laboratories doing research and development of missile tracking and guidance radar. He joined the Electrical Engineering Department of Duke University as an Assistant Professor in 1966. He was appointed as an Associate Professor in 1968 and a Full Professor in 1979. His current research interests include electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures. He is a member of the Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, and Sigma Xi, honor societies. He is a Life Fellow of the IEEE, a recent recipient of the Outstanding Engineering Educator Award from the IEEE, and the Scientific and Technical Achievement Award presented by the Environmental Protection Agency. He has supervised more than 60 graduate students in their thesis and dissertation research leading to their MS and PhD degrees.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5281
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1964
- M.S.E.E. Duke University, 1961
- B.S.E.E. North Carolina State University, 1959
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Life Fellow, IEEE, Microwave Theory and Techniques Society; Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society; Power Electronics Society, and Antennas and Propogations Society
- Order of Saint Patrick Scientific and Technical Achievement Award, U.S. EPA, 1982, 1983, and 1990
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Sigma Xi
- Tau Beta Pi
- ECE 391: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 572: Electromagnetic Communication Systems
- ECE 575: Microwave Electronic Circuits
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Xu, K; Zhang, Y; Lewei, J; Joines, WT; Huo, Q, Miniaturized notch-band UWB bandpass filters using interdigital-coupled feed-line structure, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol 56 no. 10 (2014), pp. 2215-2217 [10.1002/mop.28562] [abs].
- Xu, K; Zhang, Y; Joines, WT; Liu, QH, Compact planar antenna for triple frequency band operation, International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI) (2014), pp. 789-790 [10.1109/APS.2014.6904724] [abs].
- Xu, K; Zhang, Y; Joines, WT; Liu, QH, Planar interdigital-coupled UWB bandpass filter with a notched band, International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI) (2014), pp. 1694-1695 [10.1109/APS.2014.6905173] [abs].
- Xu, K-D; Zhang, Y-H; Li, JL-W; Joines, WT; Liu, QH, Compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter using quad-T-stub-loaded ring structure, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol 56 no. 9 (2014), pp. 1988-1991 [10.1002/mop.28508] [abs].
- Xu, KD; Zhang, YH; Wang, L; Yuan, MQ; Fan, Y; Joines, WT; Liu, QH, Two Memristor SPICE Models and Their Applications in Microwave Devices, IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, vol 13 no. 3 (2014), pp. 607-616 [10.1109/TNANO.2014.2314126] [abs].