Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Tom Katsouleas is a specialist in the use of plasmas as novel particle accelerators and light sources. His work has been featured on the covers of Physical Review Letters, the CERN Courier, and Nature. He has authored or co-authored over 200 publications and given more than 50 major invited talks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Physics
- Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5389
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of California at Los Angeles, 1984
- B.S. University of California at Los Angeles, 1979
Katsouleas is a specialist in the use of plasmas as novel particle accelerators and light sources.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- National Academy of Engineering Advisory Committee on Grand Challenges for the 21st Century, Co-Chair
- IEEE Plasma Science Achievement Award, 2011
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2005
- HKN Electrical Engineering Society Outstanding Faculty Member, University of Southern California, 1999
- Mortar Board Faculty of the Month, University of Southern California, 1995
- Outstanding Teaching Award, University of California, Los Angelea Physics Department, 1991
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- ECE 110L9: Fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering - Lab
- ECE 110L: Fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Tzoufras, M; Lu, W; Tsung, FS; Huang, C; Mori, WB; Katsouleas, T; Vieira, J; Fonseca, RA; Silva, LO, Beam loading in the nonlinear regime of plasma-based acceleration., Physical Review Letters, vol 101 no. 14 (2008) [abs].
- Oz, E; Deng, S; Katsouleas, T; Muggli, P; Barnes, CD; Blumenfeld, I; Decker, FJ; Emma, P; Hogan, MJ; Ischebeck, R; Iverson, RH; Kirby, N; Krejcik, P; O'Connell, C; Siemann, RH; Walz, D; Auerbach, D; Clayton, CE; Huang, C; Johnson, DK; Joshi, C; Lu, W; Marsh, KA; Mori, WB; Zhou, M, Ionization-induced electron trapping in ultrarelativistic plasma wakes., Physical Review Letters, vol 98 no. 8 (2007) [abs].
- Blumenfeld, I; Clayton, CE; Decker, FJ; Hogan, MJ; Huang, C; Ischebeck, R; Iverson, R; Joshi, C; Katsouleas, T; Kirby, N; Lu, W; Marsh, KA; Mori, WB; Muggli, P; Oz, E; Siemann, RH; Walz, D; Zhou, M, Energy doubling of 42 GeV electrons in a metre-scale plasma wakefield accelerator., Nature, vol 445 no. 7129 (2007), pp. 741-744 [10.1038/nature05538] [abs].
- Lu, W; Huang, C; Zhou, M; Mori, WB; Katsouleas, T, Nonlinear theory for relativistic plasma wakefields in the blowout regime., Physical Review Letters, vol 96 no. 16 (2006) [abs].
- Huang, C; Decyk, VK; Ren, C; Zhou, M; Lu, W; Mori, WB; Cooley, JH; Jr, TMA; Katsouleas, T, QUICKPIC: A highly efficient particle-in-cell code for modeling wakefield acceleration in plasmas, Journal of Computational Physics, vol 217 no. 2 (2006), pp. 658-679 [10.1016/j.jcp.2006.01.039] [abs].