Steven A. Cummer
Dr. Steven Cummer received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 1997 and prior to joining Duke University in 1999 he spent two years at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an NRC postdoctoral research associate. Awards he has received include a National Science Foundation CAREER award and a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) in 2001. His current work is in a variety of theoretical and experimental electromagnetic problems related to geophysical remote sensing and engineered electromagnetic materials.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Bass Fellow
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3455 Ciemas, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5256
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1997
- M.S.E.E. Stanford University, 1993
- B.S.E.E. Stanford University, 1991
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- NSF Early CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2001
- Presidential Early Career Award for Engineers and Scientists, 2001
- Young Scientist Award, International Union of Radio Science, 1999
- ECE 270L: Introduction to Electromagnetic Fields
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 574: Waves in Matter
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 891: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
- ME 758S: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Cummer, SA; Zigoneanu, L; Popa, B, Three-Dimensional Broadband Omnidirectional Acoustic Ground Cloak, Nature Materials (2014) [10.1038/nmat3901] [abs].
- Yaniv, R; Yair, Y; Price, C; Bór, J; Sato, M; Hobara, Y; Cummer, S; Li, J; Devir, A, Ground-based observations of the relations between lightning charge-moment-change and the physical and optical properties of column sprites, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar - Terrestrial Physics, vol 107 (2014), pp. 60-67 [abs].
- Xie, Y; Konneker, A; Popa, B-I; Cummer, SA, Tapered labyrinthine acoustic metamaterials for broadband impedance matching, Applied Physics Letters, vol 103 no. 20 (2013) [10.1063/1.4831770] [abs].
- Hawkes, AM; Katko, AR; Cummer, SA, A microwave metamaterial with integrated power harvesting functionality, Applied Physics Letters, vol 103 (2013), pp. 163901-163901 [10.1063/1.4824473] [abs].
- Lang, TJ; Cummer, SA; Rutledge, SA; Lyons, WA, The meteorology of negative cloud-to-ground lightning strokes with large charge moment changes: Implications for negative sprites, Journal of Geophysical Research. Atmospheres, vol 118 no. 14 (2013), pp. 7886-7896 [10.1002/jgrd.50595] [abs].