Steven A. Cummer
Dr. Steven Cummer received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 1997 and prior to joining Duke University in 1999 he spent two years at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an NRC postdoctoral research associate. Awards he has received include a National Science Foundation CAREER award and a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) in 2001. His current work is in a variety of theoretical and experimental electromagnetic problems related to geophysical remote sensing and engineered electromagnetic materials.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Bass Fellow
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3455 Ciemas, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5256
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1997
- M.S.E.E. Stanford University, 1993
- B.S.E.E. Stanford University, 1991
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- NSF Early CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2001
- Presidential Early Career Award for Engineers and Scientists, 2001
- Young Scientist Award, International Union of Radio Science, 1999
- ECE 197: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 270L9: Introduction to Electromagnetic Fields - Lab
- ECE 270L: Introduction to Electromagnetic Fields
- ECE 391: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 574: Waves in Matter
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 891: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
- ME 758S: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- A. Erentok and R. W. Ziolkowski and J. A. Nielsen and R. B. Greegor and C. G. Parazzoli and M. H. Tanielian and S. A. Cummer and B. I. Popa and T. Hand and D. C. Vier and S. Schultz, Lumped element-based, highly sub-wavelength, negative index metamaterials at UHF frequencies, Journal Of Applied Physics, vol 104 no. 3 (2008) [abs].
- M. J. Taylor and M. A. Bailey and P. D. Pautet and S. A. Cummer and N. Jaugey and J. N. Thomas and N. N. Solorzano and F. S. Sabbas and R. H. Holzworth and O. Pinto and N. J. Schuch, Rare measurements of a sprite with halo event driven by a negative lightning discharge over Argentina, Geophysical Research Letters, vol 35 no. 14 (2008) [abs].
- Y. Yuan and C. Bingham and T. Tyler and S. Palit and T. H. Hand and W. J. Padilla and D. R. Smith and N. M. Jokerst and S. A. Cummer, Dual-band planar electric metamaterial in the terahertz regime, Optics Express, vol 16 no. 13 (2008), pp. 9746 -- 9752 [abs].
- B. I. Popa and S. A. Cummer, Compact dielectric particles as a building block for low-loss magnetic metamaterials, Physical Review Letters, vol 100 no. 20 (2008) [abs].
- M. Rahm and D. Schurig and D. A. Roberts and S. A. Cummer and D. R. Smith and J. B. Pendry, Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of Maxwell's equations, Photonics And Nanostructures-fundamentals And Applications, vol 6 no. 1 (2008), pp. 87 -- 95 [abs].