Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
On another front, we study efficient signal processing based methods to overcome the theoretical and practical limitations that constrain the achievable resolution of any imaging device. Our approach, which is based on adaptive extraction and robust fusion of relevant information from the expensive and sophisticated as well as simple and cheap sensors, has found wide applications in improving the quality of imaging systems such as ophthalmic SD-OCT, digital X-ray mammography, electronic and optical microscopes, and commercial digital camcorders. We are also interested in pursuing statistical signal processing based projects, including super-resolution, demosaicing, deblurring, denoising, motion estimation, compressive sensing/adaptive sampling, and sensor fusion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: Ciemas 2575, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 684-6642
- Web Page:
Cancer diagnostics and therapy
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Best paper award (formerly the Senior Award), IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2010
- Segmentation and identification of layered structures in images, 8811745
- Robust reconstruction of high resolution grayscale images from a sequence of low resolution frames, 7477802
- Dynamic reconstruction of high-resolution video from color-filtered low-resolution video-to-video super-resolution, 7379612
- Kernel regression for image processing and reconstruction, 7889950
- System and method for robust multi-frame demosaicing and color super-resolution, 7412107
- BME 271: Signals and Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 544: Digital Image Processing (IM or GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
- EGR 491: Projects in Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Polans, J; McNabb, RP; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Compressed wavefront sensing., Optics Letters, vol 39 no. 5 (2014), pp. 1189-1192 [10.1364/ol.39.001189] [abs].
- Srinivasan, PP; Heflin, SJ; Izatt, JA; Arshavsky, VY; Farsiu, S, Automatic segmentation of up to ten layer boundaries in SD-OCT images of the mouse retina with and without missing layers due to pathology., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 5 no. 2 (2014), pp. 348-365 [10.1364/boe.5.000348] [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Chiu, SJ; O'Connell, RV; Folgar, FA; Yuan, E; Izatt, JA; Toth, CA, Quantitative classification of eyes with and without intermediate age-related macular degeneration using optical coherence tomography, Ophthalmology, vol 121 no. 1 (2014), pp. 162-172 [abs].
- Estrada, R; Tomasi, C; Cabrera, MT; Wallace, DK; Freedman, SF; Farsiu, S, Exploratory Dijkstra forest based automatic vessel segmentation: applications in video indirect ophthalmoscopy (VIO)., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 3 no. 2 (2012), pp. 327-339 [10.1364/BOE.3.000327] [abs].
- Chiu, SJ; Izatt, JA; O'Connell, RV; Winter, KP; Toth, CA; Farsiu, S, Validated automatic segmentation of AMD pathology including drusen and geographic atrophy in SD-OCT images., Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 53 no. 1 (2012), pp. 53-61 [10.1167/iovs.11-7640] [abs].
- Estrada, R; Tomasi, C; Cabrera, MT; Wallace, DK; Freedman, SF; Farsiu, S, Enhanced video indirect ophthalmoscopy (VIO) via robust mosaicing., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 2 no. 10 (2011), pp. 2871-2887 [10.1364/BOE.2.002871] [abs].
- Robinson, MD; Toth, CA; Lo, JY; Farsiu, S, Efﬁcient fourier-wavelet super-resolution., IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol 19 no. 10 (2010), pp. 2669-2681 [10.1109/TIP.2010.2050107] [abs].
- Chiu, SJ; Li, XT; Nicholas, P; Toth, CA; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Automatic segmentation of seven retinal layers in SDOCT images congruent with expert manual segmentation., Optics Express, vol 18 no. 18 (2010), pp. 19413-19428 [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Christofferson, J; Eriksson, B; Milanfar, P; Friedlander, B; Shakouri, A; Nowak, R, Statistical detection and imaging of objects hidden in turbid media using ballistic photons., Applied Optics, vol 46 no. 23 (2007), pp. 5805-5822 [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Elad, M; Milanfar, P, Multiframe demosaicing and super-resolution of color images., IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol 15 no. 1 (2006), pp. 141-159 [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Robinson, MD; Elad, M; Milanfar, P, Fast and robust multiframe super resolution., IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol 13 no. 10 (2004), pp. 1327-1344 [abs].