Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
I am the director of the Vision and Image Processing (VIP) Laboratory. Along with my colleagues, we investigate how to improve early diagnostic methods and find new imaging biomarkers of ocular and neurological diseases in adults (e.g. age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, Glaucoma, Alzheimer) and children (e.g. retinopathy or prematurity). We also develop automatic segmentation algorithms to detect/segment/quantify anatomical/pathological structures seen on medical images.
On another front, we study efficient signal processing based methods to overcome the theoretical and practical limitations that constrain the achievable resolution of any imaging device. Our approach, which is based on adaptive extraction and robust fusion of relevant information from the expensive and sophisticated as well as simple and cheap sensors, has found wide applications in improving the quality of imaging systems such as ophthalmic SD-OCT, digital X-ray mammography, electronic and optical microscopes, and commercial digital camcorders. We are also interested in pursuing statistical signal processing based projects, including super-resolution, demosaicing, deblurring, denoising, motion estimation, compressive sensing/adaptive sampling, and sensor fusion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
Cancer diagnostics and therapy
- BME 271: Signals and Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 544: Digital Image Processing (IM or GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- S. J. Chiu, C. A. Toth, C. Bowes Rickman, J.A. Izatt, S. Farsiu, Automatic segmentation of closed-contour features in ophthalmic images using graph theory and dynamic programming, Biomedical Optics Experess, vol 3 no. 5 (May, 2012), pp. 1127-1140 [abstract.cfm] [abs].
- L. Fang, S. Li, Q. Nie, J.A. Izatt, C.A. Toth, and S. Farsiu, Sparsity Based Denoising of Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography Images, Biomedical Optics Express, vol 3 no. 5 (May, 2012), pp. 927-942 [abstract.cfm].
- R Estrada, C Tomasi, MT Cabrera, DK Wallace, SF Freedman, S Farsiu, Exploratory Dijkstra forest based automatic vessel segmentation: applications in video indirect ophthalmoscopy (VIO)., Biomedical optics express, vol 3 no. 2 (2012), pp. 327-39 [doi] [abs].
- S.J. Chiu, J.A. Izatt,, R.V. O’Connell, K.P. Winter, C.A. Toth, S. Farsiu, Validated Automatic Segmentation of AMD Pathology including Drusen and Geographic Atrophy in SDOCT Images, Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol 53 no. 1 (January, 2012), pp. 53-61 [53.abstract].
- R. Estrada, C. Tomasi, M. T. Cabrera, D.K. Wallace, S.F. Freedman, S. Farsiu, "Enhanced Video Indirect Ophthalmoscopy (VIO) via Robust Mosaicing, BioMedical Optics Express, vol 2 no. 10 (October, 2011), pp. 2871-2887 [abstract.cfm].
- F. LaRocca, S.J. Chiu, R. McNabb, A.N. Kuo, J.A. Izatt, S. Farsiu, Robust automatic segmentation of corneal layer boundaries in SDOCT images using graph theory and dynamic programming, BioMedical Optics Express, vol 2 no. 6 (June, 2011), pp. 1524-1538 [abstract.cfm], [doi] [abs].
- MD Robinson, CA Toth, JY Lo, S Farsiu, Efﬁcient fourier-wavelet super-resolution., IEEE transactions on image processing : a publication of the IEEE Signal Processing Society, vol 19 no. 10 (2010), pp. 2669-81 [doi] [abs].
- SJ Chiu, XT Li, P Nicholas, CA Toth, JA Izatt, S Farsiu, Automatic segmentation of seven retinal layers in SDOCT images congruent with expert manual segmentation., Optics express, vol 18 no. 18 (2010), pp. 19413-28 [abs].
- S Farsiu, J Christofferson, B Eriksson, P Milanfar, B Friedlander, A Shakouri, R Nowak, Statistical detection and imaging of objects hidden in turbid media using ballistic photons., Applied optics, vol 46 no. 23 (2007), pp. 5805-22 [abs].
- S Farsiu, M Elad, P Milanfar, Multiframe demosaicing and super-resolution of color images., IEEE transactions on image processing : a publication of the IEEE Signal Processing Society, vol 15 no. 1 (2006), pp. 141-59 [abs].
- , Video-to-Video Dynamic Superresolution for Grayscale and Color Sequences, S. Farsiu, M. Elad, and P. Milanfar, EURASIP Journal of Applied Signal Processing, Jan. 2006. (2006).
- S Farsiu, MD Robinson, M Elad, P Milanfar, Fast and robust multiframe super resolution., IEEE transactions on image processing : a publication of the IEEE Signal Processing Society, vol 13 no. 10 (2004), pp. 1327-44 [abs].
- SJ Chiu, JA Izatt, RV O'Connell, KP Winter, CA Toth, S Farsiu, Validated automatic segmentation of AMD pathology including drusen and geographic atrophy in SD-OCT images., Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, vol 53 no. 1 (2012), pp. 53-61 [doi] [abs].
- R Estrada, C Tomasi, MT Cabrera, DK Wallace, SF Freedman, S Farsiu, Enhanced video indirect ophthalmoscopy (VIO) via robust mosaicing., Biomedical optics express, vol 2 no. 10 (2011), pp. 2871-87 [doi] [abs].