Richard B. Fair
Lord-Chandran Professor of Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
Dr. Fair is a Fellow of the IEEE and a Fellow of the Electrochemical Society. He has served as Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices (1990-1993) and is past Editor-In-Chief of the Proceedings of the IEEE (1993-2000). He received the IEEE Third Millennium Medal in 2000, and the 2003 Solid State Science and Technology Award from the Electrochemical Society. He has published 150 papers in technical journals, contributed chapters to 10 books, edited eight more books, and given over 115 invited talks. He and his wife Clare especially enjoy Duke basketball and five beautiful grandchildren.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Lord-Chandran Professor of Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5277
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1969
- M.S.E.E. Pennsylvania State University, 1966
- B.S.E.E. Duke University, 1964
Microfluidic systems for lab-on-a-chip applications based on electrowetting technology. We are primarily focused on applications, such as a chip that extracts, purifies and amplifies the nucleic acid of sparse pathogens in blood for diagnosing sepsis, a chip to perform DNA sequencing by synthesis, a chip for editing the genomes of cells by transfecting synthetic DNA into the cells, and a chip for collecting and analyzing inorganic particles in air.
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow, Electrochemical Society
- Fellow, IEEE
- James F. Gibbons Achievement Award, Advanced Thermal Processing, 1996
- Outstanding Young Electrical Engineers of the Year Award, National Award from Eta Kappa Nu, 1979
- Solid State Science and Technology Award, Electrochemical Society, 2003
- Third Millennium Medal, IEEE, 2000
- Top Five Coolest Talks Award, Materials Research Society, 2007
- ECE 331L: Introduction to Electronics: Integrated Circuits
- ECE 528: Integrated Circuit Engineering
- ECE 533: Biochip Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Hu, K; Hsu, BN; Madison, A; Chakrabarty, K; Fair, R, Fault detection, real-time error recovery, and experimental demonstration for digital microfluidic biochips, Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition , IEEE (2013), pp. 559-564 [abs].
- Royal, MW; Jokerst, NM; Fair, RB, Droplet-based sensing: Optical microresonator sensors embedded in digital electrowetting microfluidics systems, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol 13 no. 12 (2013), pp. 4733-4742 [10.1109/JSEN.2013.2273828] [abs].
- Sandahl, M; Punnamaraju, S; Madison, A; Harrington, J; Royal, M; Fair, R; Eckhardt, A; Sudarsan, A; Pollack, M, Software automated genomic engineering (SAGE) enabled by electrowetting-on-dielectric digital microfluidics, 17th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences, MicroTAS 2013, vol 2 (2013), pp. 1260-1263 [abs].
- Lin, YY; Welch, ER; Fair, RB, Low voltage picoliter droplet manipulation utilizing electrowetting-on-dielectric platforms., Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol 173 (2012), pp. 338-345 [10.1016/j.snb.2012.07.022] [abs].
- Hsu, B-N; Madison, AC; Fair, RB, Accelerate sepsis diagnosis by seamless integration of DNA purification and QPCR, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences, MicroTAS 2012 (2012), pp. 830-832 [abs].