Richard B. Fair
Lord-Chandran Professor of Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
Dr. Fair is a Fellow of the IEEE and a Fellow of the Electrochemical Society. He has served as Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices (1990-1993) and is past Editor-In-Chief of the Proceedings of the IEEE (1993-2000). He received the IEEE Third Millennium Medal in 2000, and the 2003 Solid State Science and Technology Award from the Electrochemical Society. He has published 150 papers in technical journals, contributed chapters to 10 books, edited eight more books, and given over 115 invited talks. He and his wife Clare especially enjoy Duke basketball and five beautiful grandchildren.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Lord-Chandran Professor of Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3519 Ciemas, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engrg., Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5277
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1969
- M.S.E.E. Pennsylvania State University, 1966
- B.S.E.E. Duke University, 1964
Microfluidic systems for lab-on-a-chip applications based on electrowetting technology. We are primarily focused on applications, such as a chip to detect malaria, a chip to do DNA sequencing by synthesis, a chip for printing artificial tissue constructs and live cells. We also are investigating the scaling of chip dimensions from the microliter and nanoliter volumes down to picoliter volumes. Additional research is underway in semiconductor devices, processes, and modeling.
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow, Electrochemical Society
- Fellow, IEEE
- James F. Gibbons Achievement Award, Advanced Thermal Processing, 1996
- Outstanding Young Electrical Engineers of the Year Award, National Award from Eta Kappa Nu, 1979
- Solid State Science and Technology Award, Electrochemical Society, 2003
- Third Millennium Medal, IEEE, 2000
- Top Five Coolest Talks Award, Materials Research Society, 2007
- ECE 331L: Introduction to Electronics: Integrated Circuits
- ECE 528: Integrated Circuit Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Hu, K; Hsu, BN; Madison, A; Chakrabarty, K; Fair, R, Fault detection, real-time error recovery, and experimental demonstration for digital microfluidic biochips, Monitoring active filters under automotive aging scenarios with embedded instrument (2013), pp. 559-564 [abs].
- Royal, MW; Jokerst, NM; Fair, RB, Droplet-based sensing: Optical microresonator sensors embedded in digital electrowetting microfluidics systems, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol 13 no. 12 (2013), pp. 4733-4742 [abs].
- Lin, YY; Welch, ER; Fair, RB, Low voltage picoliter droplet manipulation utilizing electrowetting-on-dielectric platforms., Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical: international journal devoted to research and development of physical and chemical transducers, vol 173 (2012), pp. 338-345 [10.1016/j.snb.2012.07.022] [abs].
- Royal, MW; Jokerst, NM; Fair, RB, Integrated sample preparation and sensing: Polymer microresonator sensors embedded in digital electrowetting microfluidic systems, IEEE Photonics Journal, vol 4 no. 6 (2012), pp. 2126-2135 [10.1109/JPHOT.2012.2226873] [abs].
- Khlystov, A; Hsu, BN; Fair, R, Development of digital microfluidic impactor for online determination of sulfate, Air and Waste Management Association - Air Quality Measurement Methods and Technology Conference 2012 (2012), pp. 105-109 [abs].