Nan Marie Jokerst
J. A. Jones Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
Dr. Nan Marie Jokerst is the J. A. Jones Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University, and the Executive Director of the Duke Shared Materials Instrumentation Facility, a Duke shared cleanroom and characterization facility. She received her BS in Physics from Creighton University in 1982, and her MS and PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Southern California in 1984 and 1989, respectively. She is a Fellow of the IEEE, and has served as an elected member of the IEEE LEOS Board of Governors, and as the VP for Conferences and as the VP Technical Affairs. She is a Fellow of the Optical Society of America, and has served as Chair of the OSA Engineering Council. Her awards include an NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award, an IEEE Third Millenium Medal, the IEEE/HP Harriet B. Rigas Medal, and the Alumni in Academia Award for the University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering. She currently serves on the National Academies Board on Global Science and Technology. She has published over 200 refereed journal and conference publications, and has 6 patents.
Appointments and Affiliations
- J. A. Jones Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Director of the Shared Materials Infrastructure Facility
- Office Location: Fciemas 3589, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5503
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Southern California, 1989
- M.S.E.E. University of Southern California, 1984
- B.S. Creighton University, 1982
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow, IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society, 2003
- Fellow, Optical Society of America, 2000
- IEEE Harriet B. Regis Medal, IEEE Education Society/Hewlett Packard, 2002
- IEEE Third Millennium Medal, IEEE, 2000
- ECE 230L: Introduction to Microelectronic Devices and Circuits
- ECE 449: Opto-Electronic Design Projects
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 546: Optoelectronic Devices
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Cho, Sang-Yeon and Jokerst, Nan Marie, Integrated thin film photodetectors with vertically coupled microring resonators for chip scale spectral analysis, Applied Physics Letters, vol 90 no. 10 (2007), pp. 101105 - [1.2711524] [abs].
- Driscoll, T. and Andreev, G.O. and Basov, D.N. and Palit, S. and Ren, Tong and Mock, Jack and Cho, Sang-Yeon and Jokerst, Nan Marie and Smith, D.R., Quantitative investigation of a terahertz artificial magnetic resonance using oblique angle spectroscopy, Applied Physics Letters, vol 90 no. 9 (2007), pp. 092508 - [1.2679766] [abs].
- Seo, Sang-Woo and Cho, Sang-Yeon and Jokerst, Nan Marie, Integrated thin film InGaAsP laser and 1×4 polymer multimode interference splitter on silicon, Optics Letters, vol 32 no. 5 (2007), pp. 548 - 550 [OL.32.000548] [abs].
- Sang-Yeon Cho and Jokerst, N.M., A polymer microdisk photonic sensor integrated onto silicon, IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. (USA), vol 18 no. 20 (2006), pp. 2096 - 8 [LPT.2006.883210] [abs].
- Seo, Sang-Woo and Cho, Sang-Yeon and Jokerst, Nan Marie, A thin-film laser, polymer waveguide, and thin-film photodetector cointegrated onto a silicon substrate, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol 17 no. 10 (2005), pp. 2197 - 2199 [LPT.2005.854413] [abs].
- Cho, Sang-Yeon and Seo, Sang-Woo and Jokerst, Nan Marie and Brooke, Martin, Comparative high speed optical interconnections using thin film photodetectors embedded in polymer waveguides, Proceedings - Electronic Components and Technology Conference, vol 2 (2005), pp. 1611 - 1616 [abs].
- Geddis, D.L. and Hyun, S.H. and Chang, J. and Jung, S. and Brooke, M.A. and Jokerst, N.M., Single fiber bi-directional links using 3D stacked thin film emitters and detectors integrated onto CMOS transceiver circuits, Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), vol vol.2 (2004), pp. 2 pp. vol.2 - [abs].
- Seo, Sang-Woo and Jokerst, Nan Marie and Cho, Sang-Yeon and Brown, April S. and Huang, Sa and Shin, Jeng Jung and Brooke, Martin A., High-speed large-area inverted InGaAs thin-film metal-semiconductor-metal photodetectors, IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol 10 no. 4 (2004), pp. 686 - 693 [JSTQE.2004.831677] [abs].