Nan Marie Jokerst
J. A. Jones Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
Dr. Nan Marie Jokerst is the J. A. Jones Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University, and the Executive Director of the Duke Shared Materials Instrumentation Facility, a Duke shared cleanroom and characterization facility. She received her BS in Physics from Creighton University in 1982, and her MS and PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Southern California in 1984 and 1989, respectively. She is a Fellow of the IEEE, and has served as an elected member of the IEEE LEOS Board of Governors, and as the VP for Conferences and as the VP Technical Affairs. She is a Fellow of the Optical Society of America, and has served as Chair of the OSA Engineering Council. Her awards include an NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award, an IEEE Third Millenium Medal, the IEEE/HP Harriet B. Rigas Medal, and the Alumni in Academia Award for the University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering. She currently serves on the National Academies Board on Global Science and Technology. She has published over 200 refereed journal and conference publications, and has 6 patents.
Appointments and Affiliations
- J. A. Jones Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Director of the Shared Materials Infrastructure Facility
- Office Location: Fciemas 3589, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5503
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Southern California, 1989
- M.S.E.E. University of Southern California, 1984
- B.S. Creighton University, 1982
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow, IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society, 2003
- Fellow, Optical Society of America, 2000
- IEEE Harriet B. Regis Medal, IEEE Education Society/Hewlett Packard, 2002
- IEEE Third Millennium Medal, IEEE, 2000
- ECE 230L: Introduction to Microelectronic Devices and Circuits
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 449: Opto-Electronic Design Projects
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 546: Optoelectronic Devices
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Tsai, YJ; Larouche, S; Tyler, T; Llopis, A; Royal, M; Jokerst, NM; Smith, DR, Arbitrary birefringent metamaterials for holographic optics at λ = 1.55 μm., Optics Express, vol 21 no. 22 (2013), pp. 26620-26630 [abs].
- Moore, C; Cevikbas, F; Pasolli, HA; Chen, Y; Kong, W; Kempkes, C; Parekh, P; Lee, SH; Kontchou, NA; Yeh, I; Jokerst, NM; Fuchs, E; Steinhoff, M; Liedtke, WB, UVB radiation generates sunburn pain and affects skin by activating epidermal TRPV4 ion channels and triggering endothelin-1 signaling., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 110 no. 34 (2013), pp. E3225-E3234 [10.1073/pnas.1312933110] [abs].
- Royal, MW; Jokerst, NM; Fair, RB, Droplet-based sensing: Optical microresonator sensors embedded in digital electrowetting microfluidics systems, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol 13 no. 12 (2013), pp. 4733-4742 [abs].
- Tsai, Y-J; Tyler, T; Larouche, S; Llopis, A; Royal, M; Jokerst, NM; Smith, DR, Metamaterial polarization multiplexed gratings, CLEO: QELS_Fundamental Science, CLEO:QELS FS 2013 (2013) [abs].
- Lo, JY; Brown, JQ; Dhar, S; Yu, B; Palmer, GM; Jokerst, NM; Ramanujam, N, Wavelength optimization for quantitative spectral imaging of breast tumor margins., PLoS One, vol 8 no. 4 (2013) [10.1371/journal.pone.0061767] [abs].