Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Michael M. Zavlanos specializes in the area of networked control systems, distributed control and optimization, hybrid control, with applications to robotic, sensor, communication, and biomolecular networks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2008
A range of topics in the emerging discipline of networked systems, which studies systems of intelligent physical agents interacting via a communication medium in search of local control principles that determine global network behavior. Focus on robotic, sensor, and wireless networks that can be used for a variety of tasks including remote sensing, environmental monitoring and mapping, reliable long-range communications, or distributed mobile computing, to name a few. Particularly interested in hybrid, distributed, and robust solution techniques for integrated sensing, communication, computation, and control, that lie on the interface between control theory, distributed optimization, estimation, and networking.
- CEE 627: Linear System Theory
- ECE 382: Linear Control Systems
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 344L: Control of Dynamic Systems
- ME 627: Linear System Theory
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Zavlanos, Michael M. and Egerstedt, Magnus B. and Pappas, George J., Graph-Theoretic Connectivity Control of Mobile Robot Networks, PROCEEDINGS OF THE IEEE, vol 99 no. 9 (2011), pp. 1525--1540 [doi] [abs].
- Zavlanos, Michael M. and Julius, A. Agung and Boyd, Stephen P. and Pappas, George J., Inferring stable genetic networks from steady-state data, AUTOMATICA, vol 47 no. 6 (2011), pp. 1113--1122 [doi] [abs].
- Preciado, Victor M. and Zavlanos, Michael M. and Jadbabaie, Ali and Pappas, George J., Distributed Control of the Laplacian Spectral Moments of a Network (2010), pp. 4462--4467 [abs].
- Zavlanos, Michael M. and Tanner, Herbert G. and Jadbabaie, Ali and Pappas, George J., Hybrid Control for Connectivity Preserving Flocking, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATIC CONTROL, vol 54 no. 12 (2009), pp. 2869--2875 [doi] [abs].
- Michael, Nathan and Zavlanos, Michael M. and Kumar, Vijay and Pappas, George J., Maintaining Connectivity in Mobile Robot Networks, vol 54 (2009), pp. 117--126 [abs].