Loren W. Nolte
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Loren Nolte is Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering with a secondary appointment as Professor of Biomedical Engineering. He received his PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. His current research interests are in signal detection and estimation theory with applications to ocean acoustics, biomedical statistical image processing, and optimal decision fusion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3471 Ciemas, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5266
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1965
- M.S.E.E. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1960
- B.S.E.E. Northwestern University, 1956
Sensing and Sensor Systems
- ECE 380: Introduction to Random Signals and Noise
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 496: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 581: Random Signals and Noise
- ECE 585: Signal Detection and Extraction Theory
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Yuwei Liao and Nolte, L.W. and Collins, L.M., Decision fusion of ground-penetrating radar and metal detector algorithms - a robust approach, IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. (USA), vol 45 no. 2 (2007), pp. 398 - 409 [TGRS.2006.888096] [abs].
- Jesneck, Jonathan L. and Nolte, Loren W. and Baker, Jay A. and Lo, Joseph Y., The effect of data set size on computer-aided diagnosis of breast cancer: Comparing decision fusion to a linear discriminant, Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE, vol 6146 (2006), pp. 614616 - [12.655235] [abs].
- Jesneck, J.L. and Nolte, L.W. and Baker, J.A. and Floyd, C.E. and Lo, J.Y., Optimized approach to decision fusion of heterogeneous data for breast cancer diagnosis, Med. Phys. (USA), vol 33 no. 8 (2006), pp. 2945 - 54 [1.2208934] [abs].
- Sha, L. and Nolte, L.W., Bayesian sonar detection performance prediction with source position uncertainty using SWellEx-96 vertical array data, IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. (USA), vol 31 no. 2 (2006), pp. 345 - 55 [JOE.2006.875263] [abs].
- Sha, L. and Nolte, L.W., Effects of environmental uncertainties on sonar detection performance prediction, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. (USA), vol 117 no. 4 (2005), pp. 1942 - 53 [1.1875653] [abs].