Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Lawrence Carin earned the BS, MS, and PhD degrees in electrical engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, in 1985, 1986, and 1989, respectively. In 1989 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Polytechnic University (Brooklyn) as an Assistant Professor, and became an Associate Professor there in 1994. In September 1995 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Duke University, where he is now the William H. Younger Distinguished Professor. Dr Carin's early research was in the area of electromagentics and sensing, and over the last ten years his research has moved to applied statistics and machine learning. He has recently served on the Program Committee for the following machine learning conferences: International Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML), Neural and Information Processing Systems (NIPS), Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS), and Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI). He was previously an Associate Editor of the IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, and he is currently an Associate Editor for the IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing and the SIAM J. of Imaging Science. He is an IEEE Fellow.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Vice Provost for Research
- Office Location: 176 Hudson Eng Ctr, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5270
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, 1989
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Maryland, College Park, 1986
- B.S.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1985
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Cleanup Project of the Year, Department of Defense, SERDP, 2000 and 2005
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Fellow, IEEE, 2001
- Member, White House Advisory Panel on the Future of Landmine Research, 2002
- National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award, National Science Foundation, 1992
- Paper of the Year, Applied High-Power Electromagnetics, 2000
- Research Award, Duke University, School of Engineering, 2002
- Tau Beta Pi
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Lu, Y; Carin, L; Coifman, R; Shain, W; Roysam, B, Quantitative Arbor Analytics: Unsupervised Harmonic Co-Clustering of Populations of Brain Cell Arbors Based on L-Measure, NeuroInformatics (2014) [10.1007/s12021-014-9237-2] [abs].
- Kaganovsky, Y; Li, D; Holmgren, A; Jeon, H; MacCabe, KP; Politte, DG; O'Sullivan, JA; Carin, L; Brady, DJ, Compressed sampling strategies for tomography., Optical Society of America Journal A: Optics, Image Science, and Vision, vol 31 no. 7 (2014), pp. 1369-1394 [10.1364/josaa.31.001369] [abs].
- Ray, P; Zheng, L; Lucas, J; Carin, L, Bayesian joint analysis of heterogeneous genomics data., Bioinformatics, vol 30 no. 10 (2014), pp. 1370-1376 [10.1093/bioinformatics/btu064] [abs].
- Wang, L; Carlson, DE; Rodrigues, MRD; Calderbank, R; Carin, L, A Bregman Matrix and the Gradient of Mutual Information for Vector Poisson and Gaussian Channels, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol 60 no. 5 (2014), pp. 2611-2629 [10.1109/TIT.2014.2307068] [abs].
- Arce, GR; Brady, DJ; Carin, L; Arguello, H; Kittle, DS, Compressive coded aperture spectral imaging: An introduction, IEEE: Signal Processing Magazine, vol 31 no. 1 (2014), pp. 105-115 [10.1109/MSP.2013.2278763] [abs].