Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Jungsang Kim leads the Multifunctional Integrated Systems Technology group at Duke University. His main area of current research is quantum information sciences, where his group uses trapped atomic ions and a range of photonics technologies in an effort to construct a scalable quantum information processors and quantum communication networks. His research focuses on introduction of new technologies, such as micro fabricated ion traps, optical micro-electromechanical systems, advanced single photon detectors, compact cryogenics and vacuum technologies, towards a functional integration of quantum information processing systems.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Physics
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5258
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
Micro-electronic mechanical machines
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Semiconductor Photonic Devices
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- NSF Early CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2006
- President's Gold Award, Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies, 2000
- ECE 522: Introduction to Micro-Electromechanical Systems (MEMS)
- ECE 523: Quantum Information Science
- ECE 541: Advanced Optics
- ECE 549: Optics and Photonics Seminar Series
- ECE 573: Optical Communication Systems
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PHYSICS 771: Mini-Course on Current Research in Physics
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Monroe, C; Raussendorf, R; Ruthven, A; Brown, KR; Maunz, P; Duan, L-M; Kim, J, Large-scale modular quantum-computer architecture with atomic memory and photonic interconnects, Physical Review A - Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, vol 89 no. 2 (2014) [10.1103/PhysRevA.89.022317] [abs].
- Kim, J; Crain, S; Mount, E; Baek, S, Individual addressing of trapped 171Yb+ ion qubits using a microelectromechanical systems-based beam steering system, Appl. Phys. Lett., vol 105 no. 181115 (2014) [abs].
- Noek, R; Vrijsen, G; Gaultney, D; Mount, E; Kim, T; Maunz, P; Kim, J, High speed, high fidelity detection of an atomic hyperfine qubit, Optics Letters, vol 38 no. 22 (2013), pp. 4735-4738 [10.1364/OL.38.004735] [abs].
- Son, HS; Johnson, A; Stack, RA; Shaw, JM; McLaughlin, P; Marks, DL; Brady, DJ; Kim, J, Optomechanical design of multiscale gigapixel digital camera., Applied Optics, vol 52 no. 8 (2013), pp. 1541-1549 [abs].
- Monroe, C; Kim, J, Scaling the Ion Trap Quantum Processor, Science, vol 339 no. 6124 (2013), pp. 1164-1169 [10.1126/science.1231298] [abs].