James B. Duke Professor of Mathematics
Appointments and Affiliations
- James B. Duke Professor of Mathematics
- Professor in the Department of Mathematics
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1980
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- American Academy of Arts & Sciences Fellow, 1993
- Basic Research Award, German Eduard Rhein Foundation, 2000
- BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award, BBVA Foundation Frontiers, 2012
- Benjamin Franklin Medal in Electrical Engineering, Franklin Institute, 2011
- Elected Member, National Academy of Sciences, 1998
- Emily Noether Lecturer, Association for Women in Mathematics, 2006
- Fellow, MacArthur Foundation, 1997
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 1998
- Fellow, American Mathematical Society, 2012
- Golden Jubilee Award for Technological Innovation, IEEE Information Theory Society, 1998
- Guggenheim Fellow, 2010
- Jack S.Kilby Signal Processing Medal, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2011
- Leroy P. Steele Prize for Seminal Contribution to Research, American Mathematical Society, 2011
- Louis Empain Prize for Physics, 1984
- National Academy of Sciences Award in Mathematics, National Academy of Sciences, 2000
- Nemmers Prize in Mathematics, Northwestern University, 2012
- Pioneer Prize, International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2006
- Ruth Little Satter Prize in Mathematics, American Mathematical Society, 1997
- Steele Prize for Mathematical Exposition, American Mathematical Society, 1994
- MATH 212: Multivariable Calculus
- MATH 333: Complex Analysis
- MATH 333: Math Everywhere: Mathematical Concepts and Reasoning in our Modern World
- MATH 690-32: Topics in Analysis
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- B. Cornelis, T.Ruzic, E.Gezels, A.Dooms, A.Pizurica, L.Platisa, J.Cornelis, M. Martens, M.DeMey, I.Daubechies, Crack detection and inpainting for virtual restoration of paintings: The case of the Ghent Altarpiece, Signal Processing, vol 93 (2013), pp. 605-619 [S0165168412002526] [abs].
- I. Daubechies, Developing Mathematical Tools to Investigate Art (2012) [abs].
- G. Polatkan, M. Zhou, L. Carin, D. Blei, and I. Daubechies, A Bayesian nonparametric approach to image super-resolution (Submitted, 2012)  [abs].
- D. Boyer, Y. Lipman, E. St. Clair, J. Puente, T. Funkhouser, B. Patel, J. Jernvall, I. Daubechies, Algorithms to automatically quantify the geometric similarity of anatomical surfaces, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol 108 no. 45 (November 8, 2011), pp. 18221-6 [arXiv:1110.3649 [math.NA]] [abs].
- J.M. Bunn, D.M. Boyer, Y. Lipman, E.M. St. Clair, J. Jernvall and I. Daubechies, Comparing Dirichlet Normal Surface Energy of Tooth Crowns, a New Technique of Molar Shape Quantification for Dietary Inference, With Previous Methods in Isolation and in Combination, Am. J. Physical Anthropology, vol 145 (2011), pp. 247-261 [abs].