David J. Brady
David Brady leads the Duke Imaging and Spectroscopy Program (DISP), which builds computational imaging systems. Current DISP projects focus on snapshot gigapixel photography using multiscale optics, x-ray scatter tomography, millimeter wave diffraction tomography, focal tomography and compressive spectral imaging.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Bass Fellow
- Michael J. Fitzpatrick Professor of Photonics in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 2537 Ciemas, Box 90291, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5394
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, 1990
- M.S. California Institute of Technology, 1986
- B.A. Macalester College, 1984
DISP uses joint design of physical sampling and digital processing strategies to develop high performance sensor systems. DISP builds instruments for visible, infrared, ultraviolet, x-ray, millimeter wave, terahertz, acoustic and ion imaging and spectroscopy. DISP has made particular contributions to the theory and practice of compressive measurement systems and to spectral imaging, holography and diffraction tomography, optical projection tomography and high pixel count cameras.
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow, IEEE, February, 2009
- Aerojet Program for Advanced Technologies Fellow, 1988-1989
- ARCS Foundation Fellow, ARCS Foundation, 1988-1989
- Beckman Fellow in the Center for Advanced Study, Beckman Foundation, 1994-1995
- Bush Foundation Fellow, 1984
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation Fellow, David and Lucile Packard Foundation, 1990-1995
- Fellow, Society of Photo-Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE), 2004
- Fellow, Optical Society of America, 2004
- Junior Xerox Award for Faculty Research, 1994
- Office of Naval Research Graduate Fellow, Office of Naval Research, 1984-1987
- Senior Xerox Award for Faculty Research, 1999
- ECE 270L: Introduction to Electromagnetic Fields
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 675: Optical Imaging and Spectroscopy
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Greenberg, J; Krishnamurthy, K; Brady, D, Compressive single-pixel snapshot x-ray diffraction imaging, Optics Letters, vol 39 no. 1 (2014), pp. 111-111 [10.1364/OL.39.000111] [abs].
- Arce, GR; Brady, DJ; Carin, L; Arguello, H; Kittle, DS, Compressive coded aperture spectral imaging: An introduction, IEEE: Signal Processing Magazine, vol 31 no. 1 (2014), pp. 105-115 [abs].
- Nakamura, T; Kittle, DS; Youn, SH; Feller, SD; Tanida, J; Brady, DJ, Autofocus for a multiscale gigapixel camera, Applied Optics, vol 52 no. 33 (2013), pp. 8146-8153 [10.1364/AO.52.008146] [abs].
- Lipworth, G; Mrozack, A; Hunt, J; Marks, DL; Driscoll, T; Brady, D; Smith, DR, Metamaterial apertures for coherent computational imaging on the physical layer, Optical Society of America Journal A: Optics, Image Science, and Vision, vol 30 no. 8 (2013), pp. 1603-1612 [10.1364/JOSAA.30.001603] [abs].
- MacCabe, KP; Holmgren, AD; Tornai, MP; Brady, DJ, Snapshot 2D tomography via coded aperture x-ray scatter imaging., Applied Optics, vol 52 no. 19 (2013), pp. 4582-4589 [abs].