Daniel J. Sorin
W. H. Gardner, Jr. Associate Professor Electrical & Computer Engineering
Dr. Daniel Sorin is the W.H. Gardner Jr. associate professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and of Computer Science. His research interests are primarily in computer architecture and dependability.
Appointments and Affiliations
- W. H. Gardner, Jr. Associate Professor Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 209C Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5439
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- M.S. University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1998
- B.S. Duke University, 1996
The primary focus of my research is computer architecture. This research includes work to: improve the dependability of computer architectures, design microarchitectures such that their designs are easier to validate, and develop memory system designs for multicore processors.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Intel Graduate Fellowship
- NSF Early CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2005
- Outstanding Graduate Research Award, University of Wisconsin
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Tau Beta Pi
- Top of 2004 - Nanocomputing Research, Technology Research News
- COMPSCI 250: Computer Architecture
- COMPSCI 550: Advanced Computer Architecture I
- COMPSCI 554: Fault-Tolerant and Testable Computer Systems
- COMPSCI 650: Advanced Computer Architecture II
- ECE 250L: Computer Architecture
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 552: Advanced Computer Architecture I
- ECE 554: Fault-Tolerant and Testable Computer Systems
- ECE 652: Advanced Computer Architecture II
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Nathan, R; Sorin, DJ, Nostradamus: Low-cost hardware-only error detection for processor cores, Monitoring active filters under automotive aging scenarios with embedded instrument (2014) [abs].
- Sorin, DJ; Matthews, O; Zhang, M, Architecting dynamic power management to be formally verifiable, Design Automation Conference (2014) [10.1145/2593069.2596669] [abs].
- Hechtman, BA; Sorin, DJ, Evaluating cache coherent shared virtual memory for heterogeneous multicore chips, ISPASS 2013 - IEEE International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software (2013), pp. 118-119 [10.1109/ISPASS.2013.6557152] [abs].
- Hechtman, BA; Sorin, DJ, Exploring memory consistency for massively-threaded throughput-oriented processors, Conference Proceedings - Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture, ISCA (2013), pp. 201-212 [10.1145/2485922.2485940] [abs].
- Jacobvitz, AN; Calderbank, R; Sorin, DJ, Coset coding to extend the lifetime of memory, IEEE High-Performance Computer Architecture Symposium Proceedings (2013), pp. 222-233 [10.1109/HPCA.2013.6522321] [abs].