Benjamin C Lee
Nortel Networks Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
Benjamin Lee's research focuses on scalable technologies, energy-efficient computer architectures, and high-performance applications. He is particularly interested in analytics, statistical inference, and machine learning to enable qualitatively new studies in these areas. He is also interested in technology, economics, and policy for environmentally sustainable information technology infrastructure.
Lee held an NSF Computing Innovation Fellowship at Stanford University (2009). He also held visiting research positions at Microsoft Research (2008), Intel Corporation (2007), and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (2006). He earned his B.S. from the University of California at Berkeley (2004) and his S.M., Ph.D. from Harvard University (2008).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Nortel Networks Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Harvard University, 2008
High Performance Computing
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- NSF CAREER Award, 2012
- Google Faculty Research Award, 2011
- Research Highlight, Communications of the ACM, 2010
- Computing Innovation Fellowship, National Science Foundation, 2009
- Top Picks from Computer Architecture Conferences, IEEE Micro, 2009
- Harvard University Nomination, ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2008
- Invited Participant, 38th St. Gallen Symposium, 2008
- Invited Participant, 37th St. Gallen Symposium, 2007
- First Place, Student Research Competition, IEEE/ACM Supercomputing (SC), 2006
- Engineering and Applied Sciences Fellowship, Harvard University, 2004
- Best Paper, Int’l Conf. Parallel Processing (ICPP), 2004
- National Merit Scholarship, University of California, Berkeley, 2000
- COMPSCI 520: Computer Architecture
- COMPSCI 520: Computer Organization and Programming
- COMPSCI 520: Numerical Analysis
- COMPSCI 550: Advanced Computer Architecture I
- COMPSCI 550: Introduction to Numerical Methods and Analysis
- COMPSCI 590: Advanced Topics in Computer Science
- ECE 250L: Computer Architecture
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 494: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 496: Special Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 552: Advanced Computer Architecture I
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Guevara, M; Lubin, B; Lee, BC, Navigating heterogeneous processors with market mechanisms, IEEE High-Performance Computer Architecture Symposium Proceedings (2013), pp. 95-106 [10.1109/HPCA.2013.6522310] [abs].
- Ham, TJ; Chelepalli, BK; Xue, N; Lee, BC, Disintegrated control for energy-efficient and heterogeneous memory systems, IEEE High-Performance Computer Architecture Symposium Proceedings (2013), pp. 424-435 [10.1109/HPCA.2013.6522338] [abs].
- Bragg, E; Guevara, M; Lee, BC, Understanding query complexity and its implications for energy-efficient web search, International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design (2013), pp. 401-401 [abs].
- Xi, SL; Guevara, M; Nelson, J; Pensabene, P; Lee, BC, Understanding the critical path in power state transition latencies, International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design (2013), pp. 317-322 [abs].
- Malladi, KT; Nothaft, FA; Periyathambi, K; Lee, BC; Kozyrakis, C; Horowitz, M, Towards energy-proportional datacenter memory with mobile DRAM, Conference Proceedings - Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture, ISCA (2012), pp. 37-48 [10.1109/ISCA.2012.6237004] [abs].