April S. Brown
John Cocke Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt , Jr. School of Engineering
Dr. April Brown recieved her B.S.E.E. from North Carolina State University in 1981, her M.S.E.E. and Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1984 and 1985, respectively. She worked at the Hughes Research Laboratories (now HRL LLC) in Malibu, Ca. from 1986-1993, and spent one year at the Army Research Office in the Physics Division (1988). She joined the Georgia Insitutute of Technology in 1994 as an Associate Professor and was promoted to Professor in 1999. She was Associate Dean in the College of Engineering from 1999-2001 and Executive Assistant to the President from 2001-2002. In addition, she was named Pettit Professor in Microelectronics in 2001. She joined Duke University as Professor and Chair in July 2002. She is currently Sr. Associate Dean for Research in the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke
Appointments and Affiliations
- John Cocke Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt , Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3573 Ciemas, Box 90291, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5442
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Sensing and Sensor Systems
Nanoscale/microscale computing systems
Integrated Nanoscale Systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2011
- 1992 John Rappaport Award - best journal article, IEEE Electron Device Society, 1995
- Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Electron Device Society, 1995
- Fellow, IEEE, 1998
- Georgia Tech Women's Leadership Award, Georgia Tech, 2001
- IEEE MTT National Lecturer, IEEE, 1988-1989
- John M. McMullen Fellowship, Cornell University, 1981-1982
- Omicron Kappa Delta, 2000
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for the development of InP-based materials for electronic devices, Hughes Research Laboratories, 1988
- ECE 392: Undergraduate Research in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 545: Foundations of Nanoelectronics & Nanophotonics
- ECE 546: Optoelectronic Devices
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- EGR 90L: Introduction to Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Forghani, K; Guan, Y; Losurdo, M; Luo, G; Morgan, D; Babcock, SE; Brown, AS; Mawst, LJ; Kuech, TF, GaAs1−y−zPyBiz, an alternative reduced band gap alloy system lattice-matched to GaAs, Applied Physics Letters, vol 105 no. 11 (2014), pp. 111101-111101 [10.1063/1.4895116] [abs].
- Ahmed, MU; Saaem, I; Wu, PC; Brown, AS, Personalized diagnostics and biosensors: a review of the biology and technology needed for personalized medicine., Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, vol 34 no. 2 (2014), pp. 180-196 [10.3109/07388551.2013.778228] [abs].
- Losurdo, M; Bergmair, I; Dastmalchi, B; Kim, T-H; Giangregroio, MM; Jiao, W; Bianco, GV; Brown, AS; Hingerl, K; Bruno, G, Graphene as an electron shuttle for silver deoxidation: Removing a key barrier to plasmonics and metamaterials for sers in the visible, Advanced Functional Materials, vol 24 no. 13 (2014), pp. 1864-1878 [10.1002/adfm.201303135] [abs].
- Losurdo, M; Yi, C; Suvorova, A; Rubanov, S; Kim, TH; Giangregorio, MM; Jiao, W; Bergmair, I; Bruno, G; Brown, AS, Demonstrating the capability of the high-performance plasmonic gallium-graphene couple., ACS Nano, vol 8 no. 3 (2014), pp. 3031-3041 [10.1021/nn500472r] [abs].
- Zhong, M; Roberts, J; Kong, W; Brown, AS; Steckl, AJ, p-type GaN grown by phase shift epitaxy, Applied Physics Letters, vol 104 no. 1 (2014), pp. 012108-012108 [10.1063/1.4861058] [abs].